Final Blog post
Overall, I believe my project was well
balanced in all aspects of the six skills: Reading,
Writing, Listening, Thinking, Speaking, and organization. I started my senior
spring term with reading the book, Invent Yourself Rich, which acted as a basic
guide for the upcoming weeks. This book gave me basic background on what a good
and bad invention is, how to tell the difference and ways to protect an idea. I
used these tools and techniques when doing this project. An example of one of
the tools I used was when I made all students sign my Non-Discloser Agreement
to protect my idea from being talked about. In my case it was an easy and safe
way to protect my idea while avoiding the purchasing of a patent. The writing
process was explored much through both the 4-5 times a week blog post as well
as the long process of writing the actual business plan. My writing
skills were used in these sections by working hard to organize my thoughts and
ideas and being as clear as possible. The next major skill that I had to take
advantage of was listening. This was
because when coming up with a new invention it is very important to listen and
understand different viewpoint even if you may not agree with them. It is
important to gather all information and disregard some but gathering it is key.
This skill also came into play during interview and conversation with other
individual on the way such as Kurt Cassidy (head of food services). Thinking was something that never stopped during
this project. In the classroom, study hall, sports and dreams my thoughts and
imagination continued to flow. I was constantly thinking of new approaches to
my business from the product itself to the structure. Critical and creative
thinking were and are essential to coming up with a product that does not exist
on the market today. The last skill I will talk about is the speaking component to my project. Everyday
conversation with my peers about my product was important to the development of
this product and company. However, the professional aspect of speaking was
mainly applied during my final presentation in which I gave a quick and basic
overview of my business, product and financial sections. Being able to state
your ideas clearly and professionally is a skill that I believe will be used
throughout my future regardless of where life takes me.
Some of the areas in
which I saw improvement was in the critical thinking sector. This is because
going into this project I had no real idea how much went into a basic business
plan and therefore had trouble with my time management. Companies take years to
get off the ground and it wasn’t until recently until that I understood why.
The main reason why companies are so confusing is because they are multi
dimensional and every detail must be worked out prior to operations. My
speaking and presentation skills can continue to improve as well as my writing
skills. My reading skills were tested through reading the book but could have
and should have been tested more. Reading is one of my weakest skills but still
one that is extremely important to finding success in the present as well as
future. Although I read a book, I wish I could have improved and tested my
reading skills further. Thinking was continually done, however I felt I had a
tight schedule so it was hard to relax and let thoughts roll because I was
mainly thinking of what I had to accomplish next to stay on track.
As a person and a student I have realized
the importance of connections. Having good connections with all people that you
are affiliated with can only benefit you in the future. I realized this when I
had a good relationship with Kurt Cassidy’s son, and from there Kurt was
extremely willing to help me get connected with both Sysco as well as Solo
Corporation. There are many other positive connection that lead to success that
I have been hearing about.
My final product has both strengths as well
as weaknesses. The major strength is that as a high school senior I have
written a business plan. However, with any project come flaws and weaknesses.
An example includes the writing process. I had trouble with knowing what
information went in which section and therefore, the correct organization of my
project may be flawed. Lastly, my major weakness that I have is being able to
put my ideas to paper. I believe I can express my ideas well when presenting
but when it comes to writing I am not as strong as I would have hoped. This
remains a skill that I know that I need to improve and have been continuing to
try to improve.
In conclusion, I loved this project. I
enjoyed being given the flexibility to work on a project that I am passionate
about. I appreciated the opportunity and I did my best to take advantage of it.
I enjoyed the blog posts however in the future I would rather take 10-15
minutes per weak and talk to my teacher about it instead. This is because it
took me approximately an hour or more per week to write my blog post. I feel if
I could have applied this time to my project and I would have been able to
accomplish more. Other than that recommendation, I see this senior project
being a very good one. I feel that if a student can take advantage of this time
in a responsible way than they can find successes in many aspects.
No comments:
Post a Comment